The Pittsburgh Penguins are struggling for the playoff lives to make the big show this offseason and will have to win four of their last five games to likely secure a spot.
The fan base has not been happy with Penguins management all season and they would like to see a change.
Why will Ron Hextall be fired this offseason?
Josh Yohe of The Athletic reports that everything has regressed in the Pittsburgh Penguins organization, from their current roster, the farm system to how Ron Hextall has managed the team.
Yohe went on to say in his piece that Hextall is an intelligent guy and a good general manager but not for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
The Pens will have over $20 million in Penguins cap space this offseason and the team needs a new GM that will utilize that money well.
Who is best available NHL General Manager to run the Penguins?
Below is a top 5 list of available candidates that have had experience running a team or are ready to run an NHL team after having great mentors and building experience to be an NHL General Manager.
- Jason Botterill, Seattle Kraken assistant general manager
- Mathieu Darche, Tampa Bay Lightning assistant general manager
- Laurence Gilman, Toronto Maple Leafs assistant general manager
- Ryan Martin, New York Rangers assistant general manager
- Ray Whitney, NHL director of player safety