Will the Calgary Flames trade for a goalie
Sportsnet: Is it time for the Calgary Flames to make a trade to upgrade the goalie position? The problem is that the NHL’s goalie landscape is very thin on these kinds of options.
5 goalie targets for the Flames are:
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sergei Bobrovsky, but would he want to come to Calgary as he has a full movement clause.
- Cory Schneider is the ultimate risk/reward pick up. Sure, he could regain that form and if he did, he would be capable of putting a team over the top with two good months in the spring. But a goalie coming off hip surgery in his age 32 season is worrying. Plus, he’s carrying a $6-million cap hit for another three years beyond this one.
- Jimmy Howard: Howard’s .922 save percentage in 14 games is one of the better marks in the league this season and he’s playing behind one of the most porous defence units that allows 35.2 shots against per game. He makes $5.2 million against the cap, which is a million more than Smith, but is a UFA at season’s end.
- Jaroslav Halak: Halak is, in a way, Boston’s No. 1 for the time being. Tuukka Rask has a .901 save percentage and just took a few days away from the team to be with family. Through Rask’s struggles and over his time away, Halak has been humming along with a .932 save percentage.
- Charlie Lindgren: One name that came up in the conversation from out of left field was Montreal’s AHL goes Charlie Lindgren. With Carey Price just starting a long-term contract, there is no path for Lindgren to become a No. 1. At 24 with a controllable contract, he may cost too much to acquire considering he’s not an auto-solution.